Cloud Zombie's Film Cupboard - Spooky Edition - The House of Usher, Pumpkinhead, Wyrmwood: Road of The Dead, In The Mouth of Madness

It's film review day and we have another spooky edition.
Usually in October I like to set myself a challenge of watching as many horror films as I can and as many horror films I have never seen before.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The House of Usher


Upon entering his fiancĂ©e's family mansion, a man discovers a savage family curse and fears that his future brother-in-law has entombed his bride-to-be prematurely. - IMDB 
Vincent Price is back in this gothic horror.
The House of Usher is quite an interesting story as well as a great gothic horror. It's like Vincent Price's character was written for him personally because he plays it so well. There were some twists I weren't expecting and I'm happy that a old gothic horror film could still surprise me. 

I give this film 3 1/2 out of 5.
 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pumpkinhead
After a tragic accident, a man conjures up a towering, vengeful demon called Pumpkinhead to destroy a group of unsuspecting teenagers. - IMDB 
A horror film made the same year I was born.
I had never seen Pumpkinhead previously, I went in with a neutral mind since it was made in 1988 and I didn't want to judge it by todays standards.
The overall feel to the film is the traditional 'cabin in the woods' but because of the Pumpkinhead monster it makes this film so much better. The monster still looks incredible, I think this is due to being made from prosthetics and animatronics special effects rather than cheap CGI.
 

I give this film 4 out of 5.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Wyrmwood: Road of The Dead
A talented mechanic prepares to battle his way through hordes of flesh-eating monsters after his sister is kidnapped on the eve of a zombie apocalypse. - IMDB 
Australia does it again!
These days zombie movies are very hit and miss indeed, thankfully Wyrmwood is a huge hit without being overly high in budget. The characters work well together, they have been written well and don't seem over worked. They story line works and is fun at the same time, you also care when a character dies because of how you get to know them. Defiantly worth watching and buying for your own collection.

I give this film 5/5
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In The Mouth of Madness
An insurance investigator begins discovering that the impact a horror writer's books have on his fans is more than inspirational. - IMDB 
Sam Neil doing what he does best.
In The Mouth of Madness is a film by John Carpenter and I feel this guy always seems to know what he is doing when it comes to horror. This is so well written I found myself so engrossed in the story that I barely moved.  The characters are excellently written, they haven't just placed extras randomly, every single character helps tell the story.

Defiantly a watch if you are a fan of Lovecraftian style Horror.
I give this film 5/5
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for reading!


Comments